My Employer in California

How Do I Sue My Employer in California?

Taking legal action against your employer is not a decision to be taken lightly. It requires careful preparation, a clear understanding of the process, and, in most cases, legal representation. If you believe your rights have been violated by your employer in California, this step-by-step guide provides an overview of the process and an experienced employment lawyer can guide you through the undertaking.

Please note that this article is meant to serve as a general guideline and does not constitute specific advice for your individual case. Always consult with a qualified employment attorney for personalized advice based on your specific situation.

Step 1: Understand Your Rights

California employment laws provide a variety of protections for workers, including protection against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour violations, wrongful termination, and more. Start by understanding the specific laws related to your situation.

Step 2: Document the Issue

Keep a detailed record of the issues you’re facing. This can include inappropriate comments, emails, disciplinary actions, changes in job duties, pay stubs, or anything else relevant to your case. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence if you decide to file a lawsuit.

Step 3: Report the Issue to Your Employer

Before filing a lawsuit, you typically must report the issue to your employer or HR department. This gives the employer an opportunity to resolve the problem. Keep a record of these reports.

Step 4: File a Complaint with a Government Agency

Depending on the nature of your claim, you may be required to file a complaint with a relevant government agency before filing a lawsuit.

For discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims, you generally must file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and receive a “right to sue” notice.

For wage and hour disputes, you might file a wage claim with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).

Step 5: Obtain a “Right to Sue” Notice

If you file a complaint with DFEH or EEOC, and they decide not to take action, you will receive a “right to sue” notice. This document allows you to proceed with a lawsuit in court. Be aware that there are specific deadlines to file a lawsuit once you receive this notice.

Step 6: Hire an Employment Attorney

Given the complexity of employment law, it’s generally advisable to hire an attorney to represent you. An experienced employment attorney can help you understand your rights, guide you through the legal process, and advocate for you in court.

Step 7: File a Lawsuit

Your attorney will prepare a legal document called a complaint, which outlines your claims against your employer. This is filed in the appropriate California court. After the lawsuit is filed, the legal process will include discovery (the formal process of exchanging information related to the lawsuit), potential settlement discussions, and possibly a trial.

Step 8: Attend the Trial

If your case is not settled, it will proceed to trial. You will likely need to testify, and your attorney will present evidence to support your case. The judge or jury will then decide whether your employer violated the law and, if so, the amount of damages you should receive.


Suing your employer in California can be a complex and time-consuming process. However, it’s important to stand up for your rights if they’ve been violated. The key to a successful outcome is understanding the legal process, having solid evidence to support your claim, and obtaining skilled legal representation. Remember, the specifics of each case can vary widely, so always consult with an experienced employment attorney to understand the best course of action for your situation.


8752 Holloway Drive
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 954-2000


41 East 11th Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10003
(212) 651-9070

Orange County Office

1327 N Broadway,
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(310) 954-2000


Scroll to Top